“Casting the world, forging the campus, shaping the universe, welding the rest of all branches, because, we are the Men, We are the machine. We are Mechanical Engineers”
Production- an integral part of mechanical engineering
Mechanical Engineering- the most primitive branch in the engineering discipline has flourished in demand and innovation in the past one decade. Considered to be an evergreen trade amongst all engineering branches, mechanical engineering deals with the principles of Energy, Motion and Materials to develop and manufacture machines of all types. In addition to this, mechanical engineering helps to gain the prowess to design, develop, plan and test tools
Be it any industry, the presence of mechanical engineering department is indispensable. This takes us to a brief discussion as to what are the viable prospects to secure a degree in this field.
How to start?
This might be the first question in your mind.
How to know whether this is it?
What parameters should I consider?
Being a student who is considering all possible prospects for his career, you need to be very clear what field to opt for.
It is always advisable to first pick a field of your choice and then take a decision regarding the kind of qualification you want to secure (B.tech or B.Sc). If the concepts of mechanics and kinematics entice you to the core, if Simple harmonic and wave motion is what you find interesting, then this is it! Mechanical engineering in India comes with employment options in various industries. All you need to know can be sought from the points listed below.
- Start your preparations for all kinds of engineering entrance examinations , right from the joint engineering examination to the state level engineering entrance examination. Preparation for all of these exams is more or less the same. Remaining focused is very necessary in this stage.
- Check for colleges that just fit right according to your rank/marks. A thorough research accompanied by regular counselling from seniors experienced in this field is very necessary. As in 2014, the following colleges are found to be the best institutions imparting engineering prowess in the field of Mechanical sciences
- IIT Bombay (FEES: INR 274926)
- IIT Delhi (FEES: INR 403380)
- IIT Kanpur (FEES: INR 452736)
- BITS Pilani (FEES: INR 770775)
- MNIT Allahabad (FEES: INR 187404)
- PSG College of technology, Coimbatore (FEES: INR 199420)
- Mechanical engineering comes with avenues in the field of Production, Designing, Planning, Power plant engineering, automobile engineering, Computer aided designing etc. Be sure of the subject that entices you the most, because it’ll be a key factor in deciding what sphere of mechanical sciences you’ll be making a profession in.
- There are various colleges offering Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering. Colleges like the IITs, NITs and many of the private engineering colleges like VIT, BITS and RV Engineering college Bangalore also offer a 5 year dual degree course (B.tech+M.tech) in this trade. This course also includes 2 months of summer training after the pre-final year, to ensure necessary industrial exposure to the students.
The path ahead
After securing a degree in mechanical engineering, you’ll find abundant career prospects to choose from. Having studied subjects like Power plant engineering, Automobile, Production sciences and Fluid machinery you will find numerous avenues to start a career in.
- There are various exams like GATE (Graduate aptitude test for engineers) organized by the Ministry of human resources and development to get into various government affiliated colleges for Masters in mechanical engineering, namely, IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, Delhi college of engineering and IIT-BHU . The marks scored in this exam also serves as the selection criteria for many PSUs like BHEL, NTPC, GAIL etc. Performing well in this exam might land you in your dream job in any of these PSUs in the country. SAIL (Steel authority of India Limited) organizes a separate written exam to evaluate candidates for various job openings.
- There are various private firms like ASAI India, TATA motors, Ashok Leyland etc. Which select candidates through on-campus or off-campus recruitment? These companies organize a primary written test on general aptitude and technical knowledge followed by various rounds of interview.
- Indian armed forces also organize exams like AFCAT, CDS and NDA wherein candidates for different technical job openings in Indian air force, army and navy are selected.
- A pass out from Mechanical engineering may also find employment options in the field of Automobile engineering as a design engineer and a manufacturing supervisor, in Nuclear engineering as a research officer and in Indian railways as a project supervisor. However, Indian railways select candidates through the Indian engineering services exam, which happens once a year.
Till date, Mechanical engineering stays as one of the most flourishing branches in India. Engineers from this field are required at every step of industrial production. It just depends on finding the right fit for yourself.
Author Bio: Anshuman Kukreti is a professional writer and a keen follower of the education market in India. An engineer by qualification and an artist at heart, he writes on various topics relating to higher studies across the globe. Reach him at